It is very common for narcissists to feel attacked by everything that you say. They are so fragile, insecure, and vulnerable that just about anything can be taken as a negative and cause a narcissistic injury. It can make you feel like you have to constantly walk on eggshells around the narcissist in your life to keep the peace.
As a general rule, narcissists like to hear anything that gives them narcissistic supply. This means anything that validates, admires, or reassures their grandiose self-perception and public persona such as compliments, flattery and praise.
In this article we are going to walk you through some of the key traits of narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) so you can have a better understanding of the reason why narcissists like to hear certain things. Then we will provide you with 80 phrases that narcissists like to hear.
Narcissists Like Hearing Anything That Gives Them Narcissistic Supply
If you didn’t know already, narcissistic supply is the validation, admiration, reassurance, power, and control that narcissists receive from their external environment. Narcissists use narcissistic supply to support their grandiose self-perception and public persona so they can feel emotionally stable.
In our article “What Is Narcissistic Supply and Why Do They Need It So Badly?“ you can learn more about narcissistic supply. In our article “How Are Narcissists Made?“ you can learn more about the reason that narcissists need to feel emotionally stable.
Now that you know what narcissistic supply is, let’s get into some of the key traits of NPD so you can grasp a better understanding of the reason that narcissists like to hear certain things.
The 80 phrases that we have put together for this article support each one of the traits that we have listed above. For example, a phrase like, “You make the world more interesting” supports a narcissist’s grandiose sense of self-importance. Being aware of these traits will help you spot things that narcissists like to hear more easily.
Now, it is important that you keep in mind that you can not fix the relationship that you have with the narcissist in your life by saying things that they like to hear. If you have found this article while looking for ways to “fix” or “change” the narcissist in your life, these phrases will not help you.
Sadly, many mental health professionals believe that narcissists can’t change their behavior even with therapeutic guidance. If you are in a position to cut ties with the narcissist in your life, you should!
With that being said, if you are not in a position from which you can cut ties with the narcissist in your life and never look back, you could use the phrases in this article to limit the amount of abuse that you are experiencing.
What does this mean?
Well, learning how to manipulate a narcissist with admiration, validation, and reassurance is an incredibly effective technique that you can use to stay as safe as possible in a narcissistic environment.
To do this, you must strategically use admiration to become a sufficient source of narcissistic supply and reassure their vulnerabilities and insecurities so they value your support more than the gratification they get from abusing you.
The 80 phrases below are phrases that you can use to manipulate a narcissist with validation, admiration, and reassurance. However, before you try to do that, you should read the article we just mentioned above so you can be as safe as possible.
80 Phrases That Narcissists Like to Hear
- You are more fun than anyone or anything I know.
- You are the strongest person that I know.
- You look great today.
- You have an amazing smile.
- You just light up the room.
- When I grow up, I want to be just like you.
- You can’t take a bad photo because you’re gorgeous.
- You are amazing.
- People should thank you more often.
- Wow, you’re talented beyond your years!
- You make the world more interesting.
- I love the way you bring out the best in people.
- Our family/school/community/church is better because you are part of it.
- You inspire me.
- You’re the type of girl people write love songs about.
- Nothing can stop you.
- The best perk of this job is working with you.
- When it comes to cooking, no one’s meals are quite as delicious.
- You have taught me so much.
- You make me feel safe and protected whenever I’m with you.
- Great job today! I love working with you!
- I wish that I was the man/woman that you are. You are such an inspiration.
- I love how you decorate your house. It looks like it belongs on HGTV.
- You are a great parent.
- You have the best sense of style.
- You’re the type of girl every guy dreams about meeting.
- You make me want to be a better person.
- You look so young!
- You have a special gift.
- You deserve to have all eyes on you.
- Talking to you is like a breath of fresh air.
- Life would be so much better if people were more like you!
- You are the bravest person that I know.
- You never fail to impress me.
- Everything seems better when you are around.
- You have the best ideas.
- You’re so impressive. Is there anything you can’t do?
- You have an awesome sense of humor.
- I wish I could put you in my pocket and take you everywhere I go.
- You get prettier every time I see you.
- You are a great example to others.
- You’ve got great leadership skills.
- You are stunning.
- You are an amazing dancer!
- When you get famous, I want to be the president of your fan club.
- You are the reason I am smiling today.
- You look flawless without makeup on.
- You’re a gift to everyone that meets you.
- I enjoy spending time with you.
- You always plan the most memorable and thoughtful dates.
- I tell everyone how amazing you are.
- I will always have your back.
- You’re irreplaceable.
- You deserve an award for everything you do.
- You’re basically superman!
- You have such great style! I wish I had your closet.
- I support you.
- I’d marry you over and over again. You’re the best.
- I can’t imagine being with anyone else.
- I feel special calling someone like you my friend.
- You’re a natural at whatever you do.
- You always bring out the best in people. It’s no wonder you’re good at your job.
- I wish I could figure things out as quickly as you do.
- Not everyone can pull off that look, but you sure can!
- Your ideas will change the world one day.
- You’re so inspiring. I look up to you.
- You have the prettiest smile I’ve ever seen.
- You’re basically a real life version of a Disney princess.
- The dinner you cooked for us was Food Network-worthy.
- Prince Charming has nothing on you!
- Being around you is like a happy little vacation.
- Anyone would be lucky to have you work for them!
- I don’t think I could ever get tired of being around you.
- Everyone’s jealous of me because I get to be with you.
- Your hard work is going to take you far.
- I learn so many things from you.
- You make me want to be a better person every day.
- I hope I can teach my future kids to be more like you!
- Any team would be lucky to have you.
- I hope your boss knows what a gem they bagged!
What Should You Take Away From This Article?
Narcissists like to hear things that give them the narcissistic supply that they need to feel emotionally stable.
Join Our Free Community
“This community has saved my life. I don’t feel alone or crazy anymore. I feel supported and understood.” – Meredith H.
Join Our Free Community
This information is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for clinical care. Please consult a healthcare provider for guidance specific to your case. This article discusses narcissism in general.